This very popular self-guided cycling trip takes you from the capital Ljubljana through Slovenia's amazing western Karst region to the sparkling Slovenian Coast. It's ideal for cyclists of average fitness. Cycle your way across the mysterious land of the limestone karst, riddled with caves below and dotted with castles and churches above. along the way you'll visit one of Slovenia's most extensive caves systems and its biggest feat of medieval engineering, the Predjama Castle which has been built high up in the rockface of a 123-metre high cliff. You can sample sumptuous red wines from the rich karst soil and taste the delicious cured ham that has been air-dried by the ferocious Bora wind. Finally, glide down from the Karst plateau to the sparkling Adriatic Sea; there is something for everyone.
Cycling trip highlights:
• Start your cycling trip with a visit to the capital, Ljubljana and take a walk up to the hilltop castle for the best view of Ljubljana.
• Visit the fascinating underground world of the immense limestone caves in the Karst west.
• Sip sumptuous red wine amid glistening vineyards and sample the delectable food that complements it.
• Finish your cycling trip on the sun-soaked Adriatic coast with a dip in the warm, salty sea.
• Pop over to the Italian side and visit Trieste, once part of Slovenia until it was lost to the Italians.
Helia Tourist Agency:
Trubarjeva cesta 8, 4260 Bled, Slovenia
Price per person based on two people sharing
Low Season: 14.3. to 8.5. and 19.9. to 10.10. 2020: 665 EUR
High Season: 9.5. to 18.9.2020: 685 EUR
Day 1: ARRIVAL IN LJUBLJANA. 4* hotel close to the city centre.
Day 2: LJUBLJANA - VRHNIKA
39 km (57 km with a side trip), 3* hotel
Day 3: VRHNIKA – POSTOJNA
32 km (44 km with a side trip), 4* hotel
Day 4: POSTOJNA – ŠTANJEL / KODRETI
48 km, 3* family guesthouse (agritourism)
Day 5: ŠTANJEL – LIPICA – DIVAČA
48 km, 3* family hotel
Day 6: DIVAČA – MUGGIA
38 km, 4* hotel
Day 7: MUGGIA – PIRAN
37 km (+11 km optional side trip to Sečovlje Saltpans), 3* old town hotel
Day 8: DEPARTURE FROM PIRAN.